Saturday, November 26, 2011

Starting Over can happen many times-even in your Career Part 3

While I live in a fairly metropolitan area, there are not a lot of corporate headquarters of large companies. A lot of mom and pops, and division headquarters. When something happens to your job, there aren't always a myriad of choices when trying to replace it.

In 2007 when I got WIPED OUT I signed up right away for temporary work so I could put groceries on the table. A year later, I was made a permanent employee at less than 60% of ANY of my previous salaries. I am in a position that is somewhat more of an analyst position than REAL accounting. I had my first eye opener when I applied internally for a position in the corporate office. The interviewer asked "It has been a while since you worked on financial statements, do you think you could still do them?"  I was flabbergasted! In reality I have been doing financial statements probably longer than the interviewer has been alive, and needless to say I was not given the opportunity. I knew then that I was devaluing myself on the job market for what I truly know and do well every day that I go to work there.But..I NEED the job or I would be living in a box under a bridge somewhere! I am truly thankful to be working, but for career purposes if you have a choice, stick with your true profession if you can, as positions in "related" fields may hurt your chances going forward!  Sometimes the choice isn't available, and you have to go with what you can get.

1 comment:

The Roaming Photographer said...

I have been in your situations many times in my life and yes I have always had to reinvent myself. I had applied at one company when I was younger that told me I was over qualified - I too needed to put food on the table; after bugging them for two months they finally hired me. They then proceeded to find every excuse to let me go. I then realized that I should have just forgotten about that job and fought for something better. I learned many times that we have to reinvent ourselves often.